Herriman Mustangs Hockey
1. When am I eligible to play hockey with the Herriman Mustangs High School Hockey Team?
- 9th through 12th grades (freshmen in Middle School are eligible)
- Attending or planning to attend Herriman High School
2. Can I attend a practice?
- Yes, and we don’t charge anything to attend a practice
- However, you must be registered with USA Hockey to come out on the ice – sorry, it’s required for insurance purposes and there is a fee https://www.usahockeyregistration.com/
3. What equipment do I need?
- You will need the following equipment:
- Skates, helmet, hockey gloves, elbow pads, shoulder pads, shin pads, hockey pants, hockey stick
- We can assist in finding gear at reduced cost or sometimes at no cost
4. Can you letter in Herriman High School Hockey?
- At the beginning of each school year the Herriman Hockey Club Board establishes the criteria necessary for a player to letter for Herriman Mustangs Hockey
5. When does the season start and end?
- There are two seasons:
- The Fall Season begins with team practices around the beginning of September, games start around the end of September and goes through the end of February with the playoffs.
- In May, the Summer league begins and goes through the beginning of August. This is a great opportunity for new players to familiarize themselves with the team before the start of the fall season.
- 8th through 11th grades are eligible
- Registration (the league is run by the County, and covers around 10 games) – will depend on the number of players and if ice practices are held. We take the total costs (league dues, ice costs) and divide by the number of players.
- If USA Hockey registration was paid in the fall NO additional fees are required
6. Can girls play hockey in High School?
- The Herriman Mustangs Hockey Club is Co-ed, so girls can play on both the JV and Varsity teams
7. Is hockey a violent sport?
- No – it’s a contact sport just like football or lacrosse
- Fighting is not allowed in High School hockey and results in suspensions when it does occur just like any other High School sport
- Football has higher injury rates than hockey. Below is the National High School Sports-Related Injury Surveillance Study.
8. What skills do I need to have to play on the team?
- Preferably you’ll have some ice skating experience and even better – hockey experience, but it is not necessary
- We have players on our team who have never played hockey before and even some who have never skated before
9. How much does it cost?
- First of all, hockey can be costly, but we will work with you
- The cost to register with USA Hockey is around $50
- Registration with Utah High School Hockey is $170
- The Club fees for the season are around $500 which includes:
- at least one practice session per week on ice
- at least one practice session per week conditioning (dryland)
- at least 15 games per season – more if we go to the playoffs
- A one-time fee of $120 for uniforms (home/away jerseys and socks – they are yours to keep and since they are quality jerseys they should last up to 4 years)
If you have further questions please call Ryan Nelson @ 801-573-9087 or visit firstname.lastname@example.org.
NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS-RELATED INJURY SURVEILLANCE STUDY